|the big one|
|template, note to self; use more dash mark things|
Step One: Sketch and transfer to freezer paper.
One really important thing I learned was to have a reference sketch especially when I started having more than ten pieces, it's hard to remember where all those little bits go. I will also make a point to have more of those little dashes to help place the pieces more accurately. Also I will mark the top of the piece with little arrows or something along those lines, so I know which way is up and what edge to fold over for the seam.
|before I ironed the TOP edges under|
The seam allowance allows you to fold the raw edge under the freezer paper, I learned that it is only necessary to fold the top edge of the fabric under. When your placing your pieces together later layer from the top down.
I used a large iron to iron my first prototype, and it worked just fine for the moment, but I did 'invest' in one of those little ones, I think it was a good purchase. I obviously plan on doing one more quilt like this so why not buy more stuff to move to Saskatchewan in 6 weeks? But honestly I really like the little iron, and it really made a difference in the amount of swearing I was doing.
The other and possibly most important tool here was starch. I bought the aerosol spray stuff (I bought it at a regular drug store), sprayed it into a small dish and applied it to the edge with a kids old paint brush.
Also remember to snip the edges of the concave curves to achieve that flawless edge.
|all the bits are lined up and ready to iron down|
Step Three: Arrange bits into their correct spots lining up the little dash marks. Iron them paper up onto a piece of one sided stabilizer.
Once I had all the individual pieces prepped I lined them up face up on a piece of stabilizer stuff. I used the stuff that people put in shirt collars, it's important that you use something that is not going to make a quilt too stiff and has only one side of adhesive. Once lined up I ironed the whole thing and am ready to pull off the paper. I need to take more time and line up those ever important dash lines.
Step Four: Remove Paper!
Step Five: Using invisible thread stitch down all the seams.
Much easier said than done eh! I was a little horrified how many seams there were and how much you would see my back stitch if I had to stop half way across the quilt (why do I never think of these things before I run along and do it)? Anyhow here is a little photo of what the back looked like after stitching it all down.
Step Six: Baste quilt and quilt it!
The top looks just fine and a lot better after I started quilting it. Here is a photo of how far I have gotten with the quilting so far, I'm not sure if I will ever finish this little quilt I just wanted to test an idea and try some thread painting (the grass at the edge of the water). I feel I have learned what I wanted and now I can move on. I'm sorry for the lack of really informative photos, I never did plan to post this but I was just so happy to figure out a great way to tackle this ginormous project I had to share. But I have decided that after I move to Saskatchewan in June I will tackle 'The Big One' and I will take tones of photos and share a more in depth 'how it's made' with everyone. Whew I feel as though I'm turning up the heat and I'm only semi prepared for it but I suppose you never succeed until you try. I suppose one could say it's never finished until it's done too... hmmm maybe I should finish this...